2 more quick clones...  P

2 more quick clones...

PRO TIP:  a gallon bag fits a 6 inch pot perfectly too. Keeps humidity in. lots of rooting hormone on the stem. First its lightly scraped, dipped in  50:50 diluted peroxide to sterilize it, clean potting mix, and misted with Spectracide's  IMMUNOX fungicide. The only time it will see nasty chemicals. In 2 years all traces will dissipate. 🤔 

air layered lower branch too. Scraped half the bark off one side good, coated it with rooting hormone, and covered with soil. Now the wait.  Remove the leaves to reduce the stress, until it roots. It will bud out when rooted. 

pro tip. .. 4 bamboo skewers keep bag away from leaves... reduces fungi.

last edited by peteypyro

can you post a pic of the fungicide??

@will  IMMUNOX, from Spectracide. When the nuclear option to damping-off and other diseases is called for.....

Reapply bi-weekly! 

( Or until they ain't babies no more)

last edited by peteypyro

will only scraping half the bark actually produce roots for you? It's my understanding that it will not since it's still getting what it needs on the other half

@roadkill. Truely its a fine dance between girdling the whole thing vs. making it thirsty enough to grow roots.

Sometimes half girdling is too much, if there is too much vegetation left. The branch dies before rooting. Excess leaves sucked it dry too fast.

Sometimes half girdling is not enough, if too little leafage is left. If not enough bark is removed, it will just heal.  Little foliage needs little sap, so a greater restriction of sap is needed to force rooting.  It simply heals. Scar, but no roots.

Air layering is just cloning a cutting, with an umbilical cord for minimal life support back-up anyway.🤔

Too much, it dies.

Too little, heals with a rootless scar.

Fine line. 

I've heard some just scrape the surface a little and then bend the stem, damaging it moderately,  but for me thats rather subjective & way too unscientifical.🥺 I have had bent and broken trees heal from seemingly fatal injuries. Tough plant to kill once established!

CONCLUSION: In the end, I'm finding that I do best with small cuttings as clones.  The big ones, I kill too easily as they take too long to root from the older hardened 'woody' growth 

August 11th...                     September 5th ready for final pot.....

easy peasy...well easier than rooting a log!

🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲
last edited by peteypyro

I did two clones last fall. One lightly scraped on two sides 180 degrees apart, and one not scraped. Both were dipped in clonex and kept in large ziplocks under a light. Honestly could never see any difference between the two. 

I didn’t bother scraping my last set of clones, but might try it again on a larger sample when (if?) it cools down.